Tuesday, September 05, 2006

That's Initiative

So in my line of work I am interested in the way cities work and how people live and interact, though I am far from being a town planning nerd.

I am fairly passionate about effective public transport and about reducing our impact on the environment. I don't own a car and usually get around on trams, trains, buses, bike or foot... however, I ruin all that by flying in planes that guzzle a years worth of fuel and emit as much pollution per flight as a year of driving a car. I almost never water the garden or use a dishwasher, I always wash a full load of clothes and I don't have a bath... but I take long, hot showers - I can't help myself. But I digress.

I am also interested in how communities work and the potential for them to band together and get what needs to be done, done. Particularly when it comes to developing countries, the resiliance shown can be so amazing!

So coming across this story that combined all of these interests and gave me a laugh gave me just the kick my day needed

Cambodians ride 'bamboo railway'


So given my not quite sustainable ways maybe I should move to zero carbon village?

Building a zero-carbon world

No comments: